Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years...

I know I haven't posted anything aside from the first introductory blog post, but I figure it's sort of fitting to start a new year with the first real post. It wasn't planned that way, that's for sure...

A lot of people try to start the year with a resolution or several resolutions, so I guess I'll try to start with that...

For some reason lately, I have felt the strangest sense of dissatisfaction with my life. I don't know where it stems from and I can't seem to pinpoint the source of it. Everything in my life seems to be going well and nothing seems to be a point of concern or of contention. It doesn't make sense. And it's frustrating. I should be feeling great. I have been exercising, working, sleeping, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends among other things. I seem to be completely incapable of identifying the source of my dissatisfaction, or the sense that my life remains unfulfilled...

I know I always have wanted to go on an epic adventure. Ever since I was a child, I have played and I have loved The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Those games, along with Kingdom Hearts, were probably some of the most influential facets of my childhood. Through them I became obsessed with the power and beauty of music which led to me becoming a pianist. Though I think simply a mediocre one, many of my friends would say otherwise. Through them I became obsessed with the idea of being a hero. Especially in Kingdom Hearts and Ocarina of Time, where you ended up saving or working with a beautiful girl towards one goal (I played both of those when both me and the video game industry were young enough so the graphics seemed pretty realistic).

Aside from thoughts of grandiose adventures, where the hero saves the day and the girl (the former being, ideally, more important than the latter, but still, you know, there are perks to both), I find my thoughts wandering towards thoughts of Prince Zuko from Avatar The Last Airbender. There was a point in the TV show at which Zuko had everything "going for him" but he was still unhappy and he didn't understand why. I believe it was at the point where Uncle Iroh was imprisoned and he was with Mai (I think that's how her name is spelled?). I watched the series multiple times through while it was on Netflix. Yes I was that guy. But I think a lot of people were "that guy" too so it's not that important. Anyways, Zuko's unhappiness/dissatisfaction sort of echoes my own because of their unidentifiable source. This drew me to think more about it and my mind immediately jumped to the scene where Zuko found the Avatar's bison and Iroh confronted him, saying: "I'M BEGGING YOU, PRINCE ZUKO! It's time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do YOU want?" Now I find myself thinking that those are pretty good questions to be asking myself...

So there are several parts to my New Years Resolution I guess.

  • Improve as a pianist
  • Work towards being some semblance of a hero
  • Have some type of adventure
  • Answer the questions "Who am I?" and "What do I want?"
Reading back on them they sound kind of corny, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment